Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Urban Zen integrates the practices of Reiki, aromatherapy, body scans, breath awareness, and movements/restoratives to initiate self-care and healing. In a conversation with Valerie Jew, I learn how these modalities can help not just people with chronic health conditions but caregivers as well as health care providers.
You can visit the Urban Zen Foundation website to learn more about this program.
Valerie recommends the following books to learn more about any of the specific modalities used:
- The Original Reiki Handbook by Dr. Mikao Usui
- Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death by Joan Halifax
- Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing by Timothy McCall, M.D.
- The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama by Richard Rosen
- Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee and Nina Zolotow