One way I practice self-care is with daily exercise and movement. I love attending different classes and becoming a part of a unique social network. With the coronavirus pandemic, we all have to find a way to make our lemonade (listen to the intro on all Glass Half Full podcast episodes.)
I was a big fan of BORP before COVID-19 but now I am a total devotee! Four days/week I am moving with a community of others on Zoom. It’s fun, it’s a workout, and the whole experience is beautiful. Here are free (or donation) classes offered by three great organizations:
Bay Area Outreach for Recreational Programs (BORP)
Wheelchair Dancers Organization (WDO)
Previously-recorded BORP classes are on their YouTube channel. BORP recommends other adaptive online exercise programs here.
- One of my newest yoga teachers is Tianna Meriage-Reiter, DPT, C-IAYT, who lives in Alameda where I live. Here is a mostly chair yoga video. Tianna just started live streaming Monday-Thursday at 10:30 a.m. Pacific. To participate, you’ll need to subscribe to her YouTube channel and click the bell icon to receive alerts.
- Yoga for Scleroderma
- Yoga for Amputees
- Pay what you can at Good Elephant
- Open Lotus Yoga Scroll down page for free videos
- Garden Yoga – I’m not sure if these are all accessible but they are well-produced.
Yoga with a combination of other practices
- Yoga & Pilates Abs and Beginning Your Pilates Practice by Shannon Lee Knorr. Shannon has been featured in two podcast episodes: Life After Cancer and Pilates: Core Strength, Alignment, Pain Relief, and Neural Reconnection
- Calm Free Resources
- 6-minute Audio S.T.O.P. Practice for Stress (Stop, Take, Observe, Proceed)
- UC-Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center
- Breathing exercise by AXIS dancer
- Mindfulness Meditation through The Rubin Museum
Healing in Community Online Summit
Open Space Santa Clara Valley online hikes, meditation, drawing lessons, etc.
Maybe not so accessible
- Yoga Stretches for Flexibility
- Easy Stretches with a Belt by Bonnie Machuca of PrecisionPoint Pilates in Oakland, CA
- 15-minute Full Body Pilates Workout
- Full Body HIIT Workout with Weights
- Barre – Leg Workout with Weights
- 10-minute Full Body Workout